Sci-fi museum page master background Neil Cole top piece Museum label

BUILD DIARY

Sci-fi museum page master background diary - clearing a wall diary - mortar removal diary - the start

‘The Museum of Classic Sci-Fi’ is currently under construction! It's been a demanding personal challenge but also an extremely rewarding one. With a little luck, we were able to purchase our 'new' family home in the heart of the beautiful village of Allendale, nestled in the stunning North Pennines. The four storey Georgian Townhouse needed considerable work, but what was enormously exciting was the ground floor cellar, that historically, would have housed a small family business (with the family members themselves, living in the upper floors).  I realised that my life-long dream of hosting a permanent science-fiction museum had now become a reality.  The following pages illustrate the creation of the 'space' for the 'Museum of Classic Science-Fiction'...

Header with image copy

July 2015: the first step was to clear out a couple of decades' worth of junk and demolish some stud walls;  returning the large front room into a single large space...

Next up has been the  painstaking (and very slow!) job of removing the old lime-mortar and wash in the larger front room (to 'bring back' the beautiful stonework ready for re-pointing). The mortar being removed is several hundred years old and over time, had begun to crumble and succumb to damp. There is no easy way to do this job, it's either a hand-pick, breaker or angle grinder... luckily my (then) five year old daughter Matilda was on hand to help out...and a huge thank you to Father -in-law Chris for much knocking out!  

Diary Part 1 Home click for floor plan Diary Part 2

Click here to see the next stage in the build!

The above pictures show the slow progression of removing the lime-mortar and wash from the rear wall of the front room. Notice that the door separating this space from the vaulted room behind, has also now been removed.  The plaster board ceiling has been taken down by this point, only to leave a new layer of old timber and rubble...that's right- it needs to come down too...

diary - the ceiling

Above left: this picture clearly shows the plasterboard ceiling as I found it. Once that was pulled off, the really unpleasant job begun: removing the wooden boards beneath (centre and right images).  For every two boards removed, there fell a good sack full of rubble (that had been used as a primitive sound insulation between the first floor boards and cellar ceiling. This was a filthy job- a huge thanks to Chris for helping me with this. We ended up adorned in shower caps, goggles and masks, whilst the dust was so dense, it cleared the patrons from outside the next door pub...